Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Generally all New Zealand Hospitals and other health care settings will expect junior doctors to be ACLS qualified.
- Most New Zealand graduates now complete a full ACLS course during their Trainee Intern year or prior to commencing work as a first year house officer.
- The full ACLS course is valid for 2 years after the course if passed.
- After completing a full ACLS course, re-certification courses generally need to be completed on an annual basis. These can be done through a variety of institutions / organisations countrywide (See useful links).
- Most institutions / organizations offering re-certification will also offer ACLS 'refresher courses'.
- Before signing on to do a course you should check that the institution / organisation is recognised by the New Zealand Resuscitation Council (NZRC)
- You should also check with your local RMO Support Unit to see whether the costs of the course will be reimbursed.
Useful ACLS Links: